Tuesday 13 December 2016

The World is Round





                                                  The World is Round
Recently I was invited to speak at a conference. Such invitations for the retired people act as occasional oasis in the desert period before the onset of total dotage.  In the seminars and conferences where topics relate to ushering in a new world of peace, harmony, love, compassion etc – to all old world values, in short  a utopian world, most of the invitees are grey haired persons, walking gingerly with strained and pained looks, waiting to flash a flicker of smile  to dispel any perception of their sad looks as an index of their disapproval of the new era that seems to have neither the understanding nor the need to have such a utopian old  world. The only young people around in such conferences are those who look after the arrangements of the conference hall, hand over the bouquets and seminar bags to the invitees, cater to tea and biscuits  and lunch for all those present and usher them in and out of the hall. They do not have the least interest in the proceedings because they are far removed from that old world being recreated by the octo- and septuagenarians besides a few comparatively younger sexagenarians who walk with bolder strides as though they are still in their youth. So basically all these conferences with awesome intellectual captions and headings turn out to be geriatric conferences for the old, by the old and of the old. All the senior participants in attendance are well acquainted with each other for many decades and in every such gathering, they greet each other heartily with great enthusiasm  as though they are meeting after a long, long time. It is like the three Service Chiefs getting introduced to the President on the Republic Day by the Defence Minister as though the President had not known them before.
I had accepted the invitation with alacrity beyond the common impulse of an elderly person to stay at home. Such invitations make me feel wanted and give me the status of an elderly stateswoman recognized for my formidable qualities of head and heart, for wisdom and humaneness (though in my earlier years I had not received any special attention for these qualities). I reckoned that this must be true of all my fellow seminarists assembled in the hall. All of us were waiting for our turn to display those qualities that had got us the invitation. None of us was listening to the other speakers as we were all rehearsing our own words of wisdom. We knew in advance that every speech will attract a round of applause and generous tribute from the chair person- who in turn would receive similar acclaim from each one of us.
It is my custom to mail my speech to my siblings and a few select friends- again in expectation of generous praise from them  which out of courtesy they would lavish on me) for my felicity of expression and for the  profound content of my address. This time around, I sent the speech with the heading “Ripeness is all: Wisdom of the Ages”. The seminar was on “Socio-Religious Scenario, Transformation and Responsibility” – to discuss how to change the existing social and religious order that is fore grounded on conflict among nations, religions and people resulting in mindless violence and genocide in different parts of the world. My approach was what I termed ‘the past forward approach’ – to let bygones be a thing of the past and a move forward to usher in a new order of peace and friendship. To achieve this transformation, the youth must be initiated into study of the great classics that liberates their minds , clears them of past prejudices, helps them  to discriminate between right and wrong and serves as a truly humanizing culture. The youth should recognize the importance of cultivating humanity, forgetting the bitterness of the past and forging forward with ripeness and maturity to a better world order.
 These were grand words offering a utopian solution, but difficult of practical implementation in an age known for its information overload and delimitation of knowledge. The deafening silence that ensued after I delivered my speech was proof of my empty rhetoric. My brother sent me a flattering mail with a caveat “pontificatorypontification has only a few admirers for adoption and adaptation. This is no criticism of your piece but a reality worth noting. The strong emphasis you have given on Indo-Pak bonding will fall on deaf years both in our neighbouring country and our own”.
How true was his response! For the first time I realized I was living in the past where liberal ideology, golden values of peace and compassion knitting humanity, openness to change with no carryover baggage were instilled in us in our schools and colleges. Extremism was frowned upon and accommodating varied and differing ideas and ideologies were at the core of our study. Education thus was almost a melting pot in which many ideas were intellectually assimilated. Education today is no longer an amalgamation of diversity that enriches the intellectual environment by bringing together individuals with different ideas and ideologies, enabling institutions to offer the youth   a broadening and deepening of knowledge.  No doubt, the truth that hit me was shocking and even devastating to my ego and pride in my intellectualism. For the first time I wondered if I was not letting go of the past with its inhered faith in liberalism, pluralism, humanitarianism and free thinking.  Alan Paton in a lecture at Yale University had stated: "By liberalism I don't mean the creed of any party or any century. I mean a generosity of spirit, a tolerance of others, an attempt to comprehend otherness, a commitment to the rule of law, a high ideal of the worth and dignity of man, a repugnance for authoritarianism and a love of freedom" Even while we were slowly moving towards scientism, materialism and utilitarianism, we were brought up on the great tradition of the classics with its emphasis on virtue, wisdom, honour, and, above all, the truth, connecting education to the search and establishment of the truth of good and evil.  The quest of the classical tradition for the virtues and above all, for the truth was the cornerstone of our education.
 The question that haunts me today is should I or should I not continue with my advocacy of old tradition. Is there any value in offering something I consider valuable to a new generation which does not value it? Should I now withdraw (what a wise rule our ancients had followed of vanaprastha , the third and final stage of life in the Vedic ashram system, when a person gradually sithdraws from the world )from participation in seminars, speaking and writing on old world values?  What do I now do- simply see the world moving and changing at lightning speed and not try to  make it reverse its turn?
Ripeness is all. Shakespeare’s line echoed in my mind. Life has to change. The Law of the universe shows that life is forever moving on a curve, a trajectory and the cyclical move will see the world back to the starting point. It is foolish on the part of old timers like me to harp on the past when that past would automatically revert to becoming the present. I had been on a protest move for the last couple of years as the trend has been towards the right, leaving the left in tatters. I could do nothing to halt it because many wiser and greater intellectuals had failed in their attempt. I see the right in ascendancy all over the world- in  US, in Europe, in Britain and in India. The fear of the right is because it  throws up cult leaders who are intolerant of any kind of opposition. Hitler exemplifies this tendency. But if the will of the people is to be so, it has to be so. Que Sera Sera  (Whatever will be, will be) . No point in the slow demise of liberals like me. Liberals unfortunately have come to be equated with elites and elites unfortunately have become suspect and not classified as Rawls did as superior intellects who could use their intelligence in favour of the disadvantaged.
 Change is to be accepted. No need to be despondent. Move on, I said to myself , move on  with the world that can move only in a cyclical orbit.

No comments:

Post a Comment