Saturday 24 March 2018

Datta, Dayadhvam, Damyata and the Fourth ‘D’


                                         Datta, Dayadhvam, Damyata and the Fourth ‘D’
Admission season is on. Mad mad rush, frenzied filling of forms, marking distance between school and the applicant’s residence as7.99kms to ensure that it does not cross the 8kms cap, nervous waiting for the admission list, anxious roving eyes  and heads jostling with heads to peer through the list when it is pasted around 4 in the evening  on the school gates and finally a hurrah from the lucky parents whose names figure in the list and a boo from those whose wards fail to make the list – these are the order of the day, an annual ritual to get children into school. The tension all round is palpable, though mercifully, the little kids of 3+ are untouched.
Every year, during this season, my octogenarian neighbour gets a lot of visitors. While for the rest of the year, hardly anyone visits her, the admission season is the one time I hear the bell ringing frequently in her apartment.  She is a retired professor who in her heydays was the most feted and honoured academic, reputed  for her academic credentials and  for her suave and cultured manners.  But true to the proverb “long absent, soon forgotten”, 15 years after her superannuation, she has very few visitors. But I see every March, she is approached by parent(s),( usually by mothers if the ward is a girl but  by both parents if it is a son), to help their child get into  a good school. I wondered how she felt when people approached only once a year seeking her favours. I went to her apartment late in the evening  after all the visitors had left and asked her whether  she was more irritated or more embarrassed by the March visitors. I   give below her  long answer which she prefaced with an impish smile that her long years of teaching has made her a prolix speaker, though not hopefully garrulous and voluble and asked me to have the patience to listen to her.
 “ Having been a teacher, it is difficult for me to get out of the insatiable itch for talking.  It is almost fifteen years since I superannuated. Not that I was a great shake while in service except for the luxury of having the paraphernalia of a Personal Assistant and a peon in attendance.  The PA on my request would connect me to the Principal of any school by giving my designation and I could him/her for  a child’s admission to the Nursery class. The gusto of appreciation and praise from the child’s parents will be gratifying, swelling me with pride as though I had all the power and influence to speak to the school Principals who acted like demigods and remained invisible to mortal eyes during this period. Though I  never saw nor hear from the parents after the admissions were done,  I would come to know  that my recommendation had been successful  six months  later during college admissions when I would get a reciprocal recommendatory call from the school authority who had obliged me.
But today, though far removed from the powers that matter, by virtue of the “once upon my time” status,  I do get parents visiting me for my assistance in admission to schools. Of course they come to me as the last resort after they had exhausted all other sources. “You can do it. We know, you are very well known in all academic circles. If you can’t do it, who can we turn to?”- Flattering words, though I know there is not a grain of truth. My family members will snigger calling me , “the empty container of asafoetida”( a catch phrase in Tamil that speaks about the lingering smell of asafoetida after the container had been emptied and cleaned). After the snigger, there will be the  bombardment as to why I can not tell the truth that I have no power or influence. “Why do you say you will try when you know you are a spent force? Why do you consider very request as  sacrosanct?”
But I have continued for the last 15 years and will continue as long as I am blessed to be alive to never say “no” to any request from any quarter. My refrain has been  “I will try my best” and  followed by  a caveat quoting the oft quoted Bhagavad Gita verse “Karmanye vadikharste ma phaleshu kada chana… You have a right to perform your prescribed duty, but you are not entitled to the fruits of your action”. All of us are aware no one seeks help unless, s/he is in real distress. It is humiliating for anyone to go and seek personal favour from someone who is a stranger and indirectly known through his/her multifarious contacts. Many of the parents who come to see me are fairly well to do people and they have their small sphere of influence in the little space they occupy.  But they have no contact with schools;  they are not allowed anywhere near the precincts of the Principal’s room.  It is easier to get a darshan of Balaji in Tirupathi than to get a darshan of the school principal. The parents have to give up their ego, swallow their pride and literally beg for admission.  Though admissions are strictly by lottery after all the admission criteria are met, still for the few seats that may remain vacant, there will be a competitive demand. Hence like the dying man holding to a straw, they latch onto whosoever can put in a word. “
The Octagenarian continued: “ Again it is as humbling an experience to the seeker as it is to the giver  whom s/he approaches with a request. We have constantly to remind ourselves that once we are out of power, hardly anyone comes to us. We are only what our chair bestows on us. Retirement peels off the illusory mask of our  greatness  and brings home the truth  that it is the chair that is respected and not the user who sits. At our advanced age we are made to understand the falsity  and frailty of our power and glory that is inextricably tied to the chair.  But those who come to us in our superannuated years as the last resort exemplify the saying “desperate measures need desperate remedies”
The third and last point is it is indeed flattering to be recognized that someone thinks that I am still worth my salt even at my advanced age. It is uplifting to feel one is useful and not relegated to oblivion. Being approached means you are still considered worth something. Maybe worth not of  any great power or influence, but worth of  being human. I have never shied away from requesting for help as I know that in the process, I restore self esteem to my benefactor even when s/he is no longer in the active circuit. Our Upanishads(Brihidaranyaka Upanishad)have taught us to follow three ‘d’s- Datta, Dayadhvam, Dammyata,-to give , sympathize and control.  I sympathize with the parents who are desperate to give their ward a good footing for life. I control my anger and irritation that I am remembered only once a year( and that too not even on my birthday). I give whatever I can within my limited sphere of influence though I may not succeed all times. I have added for myself a fourth ‘d’  - this is what Nike says- just ‘DO’ it. This is what gives meaning to me in this last phase of my life. To seek help and to give help bless both the seeker and the giver by teaching a lesson in humility.”
I looked at her with awe and admiration and understood what keeps this octogenarian ticking in her ripe old age.

No comments:

Post a Comment